Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
honda_killerOffline
Total posts: 15
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: question? Reply with quote

Having read the subject of the 22re mounts and 5mge brackets
in my two wheel drive 93 what should I do about this aparent
1 1/4 raise in motor and engine due to I'm only about 4inches off the ground and it will look pretty stupid to body lift a lowered mini
truck? I don't want to lift the truck or the body because this would
defeat the purpose of making one hell of a street truck?
Please give me any ideas.
aweberOffline
Total posts: 30
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: question? Reply with quote

honda_killer wrote:
Having read the subject of the 22re mounts and 5mge brackets
in my two wheel drive 93 what should I do about this aparent
1 1/4 raise in motor and engine due to I'm only about 4inches off the ground and it will look pretty stupid to body lift a lowered mini
truck? I don't want to lift the truck or the body because this would
defeat the purpose of making one hell of a street truck?
Please give me any ideas.

As rob said, he never had a problem with the 10 deg driveline angle so I think you should be able to do it no problem without a body mount.... I was making my own cross member anyway so I figured I might as well get the additional ground clearance and stock 4 deg angle ...

PS: You don't need a 7M to beat a honda, you can do that in just about anything Smile
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://webpages.charter.net/dbcaudill/webpage.htm

This is a 93 2wd I Helped do out in NC.

No body lift, no modification to crossbar. We just had to take a hammer to the oil pan just a little, and of course there is the firwall clearancing and brake booster.

He could easily take a viper
honda_killerOffline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the brake booster what modifications have to be done to the master cylinder? And my 7m came with a egr block off plate and the machinist is thinking of filling in the port on the exhaust to keep from causing turbulence in air flow he is a very good machinist and is letting me help out. Surprised the transmission is being gone through by a toyota certified tech from london england and he is going to lap in the gears to help them grab the gears better and new syncros and bearings and locking rings the clutch is probably going to be a SPEC stage three clutch the third member is out of a supra just for the gears (lsd). And what about the throttle cables? which what where? If any body has all of the info on the swap please let me know if you have to e-mail me please do so. robertstoy@cox.net
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to do an emission inspection, you cannot fill the EGR port. You have to have an EGR valve. If you don't need emissions, then that will be one less spot you have to take a hammer to the firewall. By the way, this hammer could be a big rubber mallot. You don't have to make the dents noticable.

The problem you will have with the booster is the intake may or may not hit. If you are a 89-new truck, then you will have problems. Pre-89, you should be fine with the clearance.

You should be able to use your existing throttle cable. A custom bracket may be neccesary to mount the cable, but if you have access to a welder and a grinder with a cut-off wheel, modifying the existing bracket is easy. A lot of the time, I will use an N/A bracket on a turbo. The turbo's use linkage, but I prefere to go direct cable. I have also used supra cables too. They mount up to your pedel just the same your trock does(mostly).
MikeOffline

Total posts: 272
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own throttle cable bracket for my swap, and used a NA supra cable. It's pretty basic, here are pics:

Installed:

honda_killerOffline
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: fire wall? Reply with quote

What else comes close to the fire wall? So all I need to do is bend the brake booster a little? Or shave the intake a little?
What other things do I have to worry about because the truck is a 93?
We don't have emissions here in S.V. so that I'm not worried about.
On the oil pan do I need to hammer it also or do you reccomend something else that doesn't take a chance in creasing the metal a causing a leak?
And the exhaust is something else I just don't want to take it to Midas or any place really due to alot of people can't keep from telling the world whats going on if you know what I mean.
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you 2wd or 4wd. If you are 2wd, you could just cut a little off the lower front of the pan. If you are 4wd, well, that will take a little more effort. You have to cut the side off the pan, and relocate your oilpickup.

For the brake booster, you could use a booster from an earlier model truck. That is what I did on my runner. No clearancing needed. If not, I would shave a little off the intake. Lots of metal there to shave off. Shave off enough to allow for movement though, otherwise it will drive you nuts, especially in reverse.

The other two places if you don't use an EGR valve would be for the heater hoses. There is one on the top of the head, and one passenger side of the engine. But, it depends on your motor. Toyota made it possilble to make your heater hose come from the drivers or passenger side. Use which side is best for you. Some pipes have been capped off and welded. In that case, you just use the one that is not.
honda_killerOffline
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: oil pan Reply with quote

you don't happen to have any photos laying around about the cuts to the oil pan?
My truck is a 93 hi lux 2wd no power steering or a/c no power locks or windows it weights in at 2550 with me and the spare tire and stereo system.
How much weight will this swap add (turbo,intercooler and engine)
also what about traction the supra lsd will help a little but my suspension
is pretty much already complete.
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pictures of any cuts, but I may have some picture of where we had to dent.

Traction you may have a problem. Since you have a 2wd, you have a 7.5 rear end. You have to upgrade to a 4x4 rear end, but then you will have 6 lug in the rear. Or, you can find a 2wd 1 ton rear, which uses the 8" rear with 5 lug. Then you could drop in a supra LSD. You will also need a traction bar, if not you will have problems with bending your rear springs.
knuckleheadOffline
Total posts: 8
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi new to the board, but I've got a few pics that Derek sent me of his oil pan modification. Can someone host them.
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a PM
dlcOffline
Total posts: 6
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what you are looking for? Doesn't look as bad as the picture suggests Smile

What's going on Knucklehead?

dlcOffline
Total posts: 6
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: oil pan Reply with quote

honda_killer wrote:

My truck is a 93 hi lux 2wd no power steering or a/c no power locks or windows it weights in at 2550 with me and the spare tire and stereo system.
How much weight will this swap add (turbo,intercooler and engine)
also what about traction the supra lsd will help a little but my suspension
is pretty much already complete.

Mine was a 92 2wd base truck with nothing (no ac, no power steering, spare tire and jack removed, no rear bumper or tailgate, no radio or speakers, weld draglite wheels, etc) and weighed 2800 lbs.
bkubishtOffline
Total posts: 5
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know honda_killer? It seems I hit the 1 in a million chance that there's someone else here in little Sierra Vista exploring supra swaps. I know his name is Robert, and I tried PMing him with no response. He had a cox.net email address posted once, but that doesn't work. HK, email me at bkubisht@c2i2.com . I'd like to meet up and compare progress!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Mounting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: