Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First 2min + drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMG4runnerOffline

Total posts: 180
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: First 2min + drive Reply with quote

Finally got my water temp sensor fixed, installed new spark plugs, reset the timing, now she runs great under power. Motor cranks instantly but wont idle. If i dont apply at least 1% throttle it dies. Right now there is some slop in the throttle cable, like i have to push the gas pedal maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch before it gets tension to the throttle cable. I drove it around for about 20 minutes worth near my house today. Got lots of great looks at the gas station Very Happy

does the throttle cable need to be in slight tension even with no force on the gas pedal ?

If i can get someone to film me i'll post up a movie of driving it around.
pete_the_meatOffline
Total posts: 68
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my throttle has no play i set it so basicaly the cable while not being tight is just firm enough to stop the cable going slack but not tight enough to stop it idleing,sorry if i dont make sense..
JMG4runnerOffline

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there some simple way to adjust it without making a spacer for the gas pedal side? moving the end of the cover around at the throttle part of the motor doesnt seem to make anything better. Apex-I air filter is scheduled to arrive this week then i can feel better about driving it around more.
pete_the_meatOffline
Total posts: 68
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez i wonder if the jap engines have different cables..mine has two adjustiing nuts either side of the cable mount near the throttle body thats where i adjusted mine..
JMG4runnerOffline

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does have that adjustment, i moved it to the most extreme of both sides and it doesnt feel like the slack changes at all. I'm just gonna make a little plastic spacer to fit on the gas pedal end.
coraxOffline
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the throttle cable should have a slight amount of slack. rule of thumb is 2mm deflection at the throttle body (before throttle blade starts to move). this is to allow the small amount of contraction that occurs when things get cold. it also makes sure that the throttle blade closes all the way so the "idle" contacts in the TPS close (so the ECM knows that your foot is off the accelerator & switches to idle mode. If you are having idle problems, check the adjustment on the TPS, i forget which 2 pins it is, but there should be continuity (<1 ohm, connector off the TPS) between them w/ the throttle closed. With the connector on the TPS, the other two will be a 5V reference signal and the return signal to the ECM (.4 - .6 volts @idle &
about 4.5V at wide open throttle).
JMG4runnerOffline

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one project for the next week is get get the idle fixed using the TPS and ISC adjustments, i have the link to the TSRM. slightly more important than the idle is all the coolant and oil the damn thing is leaking Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: