Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7mgt oil pickup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> MKII supra swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussiepeteOffline
Total posts: 96
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: 7mgt oil pickup Reply with quote

when putting the 7mgt engine in a mark2 the sump must me be changed to the 5m sump and some people cut and braise the oil pickup,ive noticed the 5m oil pickup looks like itll mount to the same holes as the 7ms oil pickup so hopefully thatll make swapping even easier,if anyone has any info on this idea can u please post up?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a 5m pump, but I would recommend getting a new one. I don't know what kind of condition the 5m's are over there, but over here they all have high mileage. The 7m pickup is easy to modify, just 2 cuts and 2 180degree rotations.
swankOffline
Total posts: 92
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry new computer forgot to log in
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use the 5M pump. It doesn't have enough volume...from what I have heard anyway.
aussiepeteOffline
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah spot on ive just found some info on the 5m pickup that says its a high pressure pump where as the 7mgt has a high volume low pressure pump somthing to do with looking after the turbo seals and a few other vital components.
aussiepeteOffline
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a tip on modding the 7m pump i took it to a machinery shed and they tested the steel and found it was ok to mig weld,although the welder they used looked a fair bit better quality than mine.they pressure tested it for me and there was no leaks.fitted great in the sump.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussiepete wrote:
yeah spot on ive just found some info on the 5m pickup that says its a high pressure pump where as the 7mgt has a high volume low pressure pump somthing to do with looking after the turbo seals and a few other vital components.

Thats very interesting. Lots of people have used 5m pumps. I wonder if they've had problems with their turbos. Its even stated in the celicasupra.com 7mgte swap FAQ to use a 5m pump. Would the 7mge pumps be high pressure aswell?

I'm glad to hear that you can MIG the 7m oil pickup as thats what I did without even checking. Then I just did a water test to check for leaks so hopefully it will hold the required pressure. JB weld would work well too.
swankOffline
Total posts: 92
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should just change my screen name to Guest
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to figure out why it still lets guest post. I will look into it more next week.
aussiepeteOffline
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey rob i just bought a large transmission cooler normally for v8s and im trialling it as an oil cooler its made by PWR and the quality looks pretty good, i want to get a oil temp reading with this trans cooler than i want to swap it out and put the factory oil cooler back in and see how it peforms in comparison .have you already done this?if so do you have an idea of the temp difference?
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about getting a temp sensor....but have never got around to it. Go ahead and give it a try. A before and after would be great too, so we can know if the after market cooler really helps. The temp probe really needs to be mounted in the side of the oilpan near the bottom. That is where you will get the most accruate reading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> MKII supra swaps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: