Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No top end power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laosethOffline
Total posts: 16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: No top end power Reply with quote

I just finished my swap (7MGE, non turbo), all and all not a bad experiance, but i feel like the new engine should have a lot more top end power than it has right now. I am wondering if the old 22-RE fuel pump is too small to handle the new engine? I have TONS of tourqe at low speeds, but the engine just seems to give up at higher speed. Anyone know if the 22-RE pump is too small for a NA 7MGE, or should i start looking somewhere else (maybe mixture) for answers?
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First quetion, what are you comparing your top end too? I drive N/A's and am quite dissapointed, but that is because I am used to turbo's.

The fuel pump should be up to the task. I have a friend with a turbo running on a stock efi pump. He has a turbo pump, he just hasn't installed it yet.

Maybe it could be a fuel filter, for air filter, or plugged exhaust. Possibley timing. Check for codes. Also, go find a MKIII N/A to testrive. Just pretened you are wanting to buy it, just so you can drive it. That will give you a good perpspective.
laosethOffline
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am comparing it to my old 22-RE. It is topping out at only 5 mph over what my old 22 did when it had 200,000+ miles on it. It has a new cat, 2 1/4 inch exaust and a turbo muffler, and a new K&N air filter. I set the timing to 10 degress just like it said in the service manual. I have no check engine light, but I haven't tried to do the codes while driving, think that might help? Really, either fuel or mixture is the only other problem i can think of. Or maybe I was just expecting too much power.
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the 7MGE will have way more power than a 22RE. 22RE is only what, 110-120hp where the 7MGE is 200, and probably 210 with the exhaust. There is something wrong. Do a compression check.
laosethOffline
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad compression, I am new to engine internals, but it has a really good bottom end, wouldn't the compression be good? I'll get a gauge and check it tomarrow. I really hope your wrong, cause I don't want to have to rebuild my "new" engine.
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, check to make sure that when you step on the gas pedal, that the TB is opening all the way.

And I still higly reccomend that you test drive a supra.

I just built one a couple months ago, a N/A supra. Anwyay, the thing would chirp the tires shifting into 2nd gear with an auto. WAY MORE power than a 22RE
laosethOffline
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so i replaced the head gasket, as it was blown, and now I am getting some serious hesitation when I accelerate, it feels likes its from 2000-3500 rpm's where the engine is just lacking. I am running out of ideas, I just want the car to go 75 at 5000ft. Right now, all I can think of is vacume leak, fuel delivery problem (either clogged injectors, or the fuel pump), or maybe the timing belt is loose? Really getting to the end of my rope here. I just want it too work!
MikeOffline

Total posts: 272
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year series is your ECU? If 87-88, are you using an HAC? Also, is your TPS adjusted per the FSM?
laosethOffline
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 87 series ECU, non turbo. I am pretty sure I got the TPS set correctly, but I could check again. I thought the non turbo's didn't have a High altitude detector, if thats what a HAC is.
MikeOffline

Total posts: 272
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some strange symptoms in general that you are having - did the low top end power ever get resolved? The 7MGE in my 86 really comes to life at WOT above 4500RPM, so it surprises me that yours feels doggish there. Aside from general timing and ignition components and vacuum leaks, I wonder abou the condition the water temp sensor or how good the connection is, and the TPS like I said. Bummer deal man keep us posted...
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run a diag on all your eltrical comonents, especially the CPS. That seems to be a pretty big issue. Also, what about your fuel filter. Brand new?
laosethOffline
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I have yet to do the Tach mod, so I have no tach, and my RPMs are a guess, but there is a definate hesitation while accelerating. This weekend I will check the TPS and the CPS according to the manual. One thing I should note, is that I removed the EGR system from the car, but this should have no effect off idle. The water temp sensor and Cold start timer are brand new. The fuel filer is the one that came with the engine from japan, as are the injectors. I have a Fuel pressure sensor sitting on my desk, I will try to get that hooked up as well. Thanks you guys for the continuing help, I really appreciate it.
mattydOffline
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: what about .... Reply with quote

maybe the cable from the accelartor is not pushing properly. Ie, could the cable be damaged and is kinking? Maybe replace the throtle cable. My g/f has a small Ford Laser, and her cable was really worn. Acceleration was horrible, and the amount of power from the engine was all together unrelated to the amount of throtle applied at the foot. Turns out the cable outer casing had frayed and the cable would pop out of the whole for a certain amount of time, then pop back in and apply uneven power at the wrong time.

Once we replaced the cable all things were fine!

Matt ------- just puting a new perspective on the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: