Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Body Lifts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkubishtOffline
Total posts: 5
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Body Lifts Reply with quote

OK, I'm weeks away from yoinking the 22re from my 85 runner and trying to sell it off. I'd like to do some prep work for either a 5mge or 7mge swap while waiting for the right new motor to come along.

Several basic questions coming from a guy that hasn't wrenched much outside of the 22Rs, but has been reading about supra swaps for a little while now:
1. Are the 5mge and the 7mge the same length?
2. Are the 5mge and the 7mge the same height?
3. What's the minimum body lift I'll need to mount either of these engines using the 5mge/22r motor mounts? I'm not really willing to bash the firewall much, and I hate body lifts above 1".
4. Is the 7mge more work to install than the 5mge? (I assume yes if it's longer, but
5. I found a 5-speed supra with a 5mge in a local J/Y. I can have the motor with all accessories, ecu, and harness for $300. It would probably include the mounts and bell too. It scares me because the car isn't wrecked, so I'll be pulling plugs and turning the motor by hand to see if there's something catastrophic inside. If the block is dead, is the rest of it all worth $300?
Love this site. When I do this, I'll definitely take some photos and get a page going.
-Bryan
MikeOffline

Total posts: 272
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my best attempt:
1&2: From what i understand the 7M is basically a stroked 5M. If that's the case the block dimensions would be the same, but I don't know about the accessories, so the height and length may be different.
3: You don't have to bash the firewall too much to make a 7M fit with no body lift. I used a one inch body lift on my 88 with 7mgte, but I also made my own motor mounts, so I can't give you a good answer there. But from my experience on the 86 with 7mge I think a 1" or more body lift is the way to go when swapping a 7m in using 5m mounts, and it will only decrease the amount of firewall clearencing required.
4: I'm guessin it's about the same. Even if dimensions are slightly different, the degree of fabbing required will not be much different.
5: That's a tough call, because there is not a lot of demand for 5M's. It's probably worth it - you can easily pay $150 just for the flywheel and bellhousing. However, if you get that setup then find out that the engine is bad and go with a 7M, you're not doing so hot.
Let us know how the swap's going
bkubishtOffline
Total posts: 5
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike.
Based on what you've said, and to solve a shock installation issue, I'll go with a 1" body lift then.

I decided to pass on the 5M I found in a junkyard, because I decided the 7M is really what I want if I decide to pull a small camper or boat.

Hopefully the swap can get underway soon. Still need to find basically all parts; work and other truck projects keep getting in the way.
kjishikawaOffline
Total posts: 10
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking to do a 7mge. How did it work out with a 1inch body lift? Was it enough, not enough, too much???
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done swaps with 2" body lift, 1" body lift, and no body lift. All are possible. Which one was easier? The 2" body lift made it much easier to work on the vehicle, but not neccassary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Mounting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: