Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how about 3vze v6 pickup to a 7mgte? mounts, positioning?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mx924Offline
Total posts: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: how about 3vze v6 pickup to a 7mgte? mounts, positioning? Reply with quote

i have a 94 ex cab pickup with a 2" body lift, and plenty of room under the motor. its a v6 with an r150f tranny. any pics or suggestions on fabing up my motor mounts? any measurments on positioning the motor? what thickness of material should i make the mounts with? will my 120 lincoln mig be powerful enough? i have access to either a really powerful tig welder or a big stick welder what should i use to make my mounts? PLEASE HELP! -john
MikeOffline

Total posts: 272
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some pics on my site that would be pretty much the same thing you have going - mine is an 88 4runner, but for mounting purposes it is the same. I made my mounts out of 3/16, and welded them with a 120V lincoln. They haven't broken yet Smile. Any of the welders you mentioned should be fine when setup correctly, use whatever you're most comfortable with.

As for positioning, the tranny is the best reference that I can think of, and I ended up moving mine back 2 5/8 inches. I just welded an extension on the V6 crossmember to mount the tranny, but recently discovered that the 4cyl crossmember fits pretty much perfectly when you move the trans back that amount Smile, so I am using one of those now. BUT if I had it to do over again, I would mount the engine further back. When I did the 86 7mge swap and saw how close things lined up in the back with the 5m mounts on a 22r frame, I couldn't believe it. There must be close to two inches more clearence between the back of the engine and the firewall on my 88 than on the 86. What I wouldn't give to have that space for an intercooler and such. If you want to run an intercooler, or remotely consider keeping AC, move the trans back further than 2 5/8".
mx924Offline
Total posts: 27
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info, what is the name of your web site? think i could get away with moving it back 3 5/8"? how do you know the motor is straight?
MikeOffline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you could get away with that fine, especially with your 2" body lift. To get it straight, put it in with the trans bolted up and move basically spend some time measuring and tweaking until it's right. Then build your engine mounts and tack them with top plates bolted up to the engine side mounts, remove the engine and finish welding.

My website is http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~simm8647/4Runner/4Runner.htm
papas87Offline
Total posts: 25
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

When you say mount the engine at least 2 5/8" back (or 3 5/8", or any amount back for that matter), what are you using as your reference point? Mine is a 3vze V6 also, so would the distance you refer to be back from the exising mounts for the V6? Or is it something like moving everything "x" distance back from say the point where the bellhousing meets the engine?

Is my question clear at all?

thanks, Jason G
MikeOffline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: just to make it more clear, the transmission cross member bolt holes are what I used for a reference.

Your question is totally clear, and the reference I used was the transmission. The engine mounts line up completely different; I didn't even pay attention to where the mounts I welded on ended up compared to where the 3vze ones were. But as I recall, using the 7M engine side mounts (as opposed to the 5M ones), it was pretty close to where the factory mounts were front to back wise. The best thing to do is to mount everything up - R trans, bellhousing, engine, with nothing bolted to the truck. Use a cherry picker and a floor jack to move things around to where you're happy, and you can tell by measuring from the trans crossmember bolt holes where you are compared to stock.

I hope that helps.
papas87Offline
Total posts: 25
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mike, that helps alot. One more thing, would you recommend going ahead and using a crossmember from a 4cyl vehicle... provided I could find one somewhere?

thanks again,

Jason G
MikeOffline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you want to do:

No AC, no intercooler: Yes, 4 cyl x-member will simplify things a little and you'll have adequate clearence up front.

AC or 2" intercooler: If you want it to be tight as all getout up front, use a 4cyl x-member. This is how my 4runner is, and you can see pics of how tight it works out to be.

AC and intercooler: You'll need to move the tranny back farther than the 2 5/8 that the 4cyl x-member gives you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Mounting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: