Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4RnrRick is getting a 7M-GE / 7MGE Motor swap
Goto page Previous   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul ElbisserOffline
Total posts: 69
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went thru raising the hood with 1/2 spacer at the hinge. It didn't help when I was running the New Supra radiator.

I was also trying to push air thru the AC then the radiator. (AC not working)

Main thing is to get the air to flow thru the radiator. If it isn't doing that all the opening up of the engine bay won't do a thing.
4RnrRickOffline

Total posts: 243
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres what I noticed so far from the hood vents:

I can still overheat the motor with high RPM's and low speeds - I'm not surprised....

Might be a touch more throttle response and power at higher speeds. I suspect that its just from more airflow under the hood and cooler fresh air getting into the motor - or it could be just in my head.

Temperature of my intake and plenum are lower after extended freeway driving. Before it was HOT to the touch and now its just warm.

With the engine warm and at a idle you can feel the heat escaping out the vents. which I believe in turn also lets the engine cool down faster when it gets overheated. Which I have experienced - its defintely cools down faster went its overheated even with it parked and at an idle.

I also finally got around to testing my thermal fan switch and its dead - so I have to get another one.... Luckily that was covered under its warranty because its only 5 month old.

Also with this little adventure a couple trips ago:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/bioxide02/June25thShotgun/113_1303.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/bioxide02/June25thShotgun/113_1307.jpg

With me winching myself up and out of the ditch where my nose was buried into the ground, I ended up litteral shoving tons of mud, sticks and rocks thru my fairlead, under the winch and right into my electric fan..... I tried hosing out that area with the garden hose but that didn't work. I ended up removing the winch and hosed on the fan for like 30 minutes trying to get all the crap out. I even needle nosed some leafs and sticks out of the fan. I got most of it, but not all of it. You could still hear rocks bouncing around inside the fan.

So I'm now in the process of taking some sheetmetal and making a fan shroud spaced slightly away from the radiator to hopefully allow any crap that gets in there to be flushed down and away from the radiator. also it should help the cooling issues since now the fan will be blowing air over the whole radiator surface instead of just the cross-section of the fan. I'm also planning on make some type of dirt guard on the lower part of teh fan so this won't happen again.

Unfortunately those rocks and sticks messed up the front of the radiator pretty good. basically it just bent over all the fins on the outer 1" diameter or so from the fan. so after about an hour with a small screwdriver I got those straightened back out now. But since everything is so tight aroudn teh hood latch and the bumper - its going to be a challange to make everything fit.

So here is the start of the fan shroud. Its a piece of 18 GA sheet.

Unfortionately with adding the fan shroud, that is going to move the fan out another 3/4". Which is good for air flow but not good for my winch clearance. doing this is forcing me to totally rework my winch plate.......

See the fan use-to-be mounted flush against the front surface of the radiator.

Which also means I had to nibble some material off the cross tube on my all-pro winch bumper to make clearance for the fan..... Then I capped it off with some sheetmetal. Its not pretty but atleast its sealed....

This is pretty much the finished fan shroud. I also formed the edges to give it some more rigidity... for attaching the fan to the shroud, I just weled some nuts on the back side of the shroud. The only think I got left to do is to cut a small hole in it so I can connect the wiring harness back to the electric fan thermal switch.

4RnrRickOffline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well last night I got the New Shroud & Fan installed, along with everything else. I ended up reworking the hood latch to make everything fit properly. Boy is that a tight fit now!!!! But now it fits. Now I'm in the process of reworking the winch mount so I can move the winch out ~ 1 1/4" because as it sits now, I can't bolt the winch back in since I moved the fan out ~3/4" and I only had 3/8" of clearence before. What a PITA!

4RnrRickOffline

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres how I modified the AllPro Winch Bumper. Basically I cut the front of the winch plate off and moved the winch out 1 3/8".

Heres how the final product turned out....

And here you can see the hole that I left right after the fairlead so if I bury the front of the 4runner into the ground or enbankment, the dirt and rocks will get forced out the bottom instead of being carried under the winch and into the fan like it did before.

And now I have 1" of clearance between the end of the fan and the back of the winch!!!

We will see how it works out this weekend!
4RnrRickOffline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan shroud is working great.... I went on a snow run and the only time it would start to overheat is when the front bumper was 100% packed with snow. In the picture below it was still running at normal temperature and I would consider it 95% packed. you can see the hole in the snow on the driver side where the fan was still getting air flow. there was also another small air flow hole on the passenger side. and if you looked in those holes you could see a large cavity behind the winch that was also snow free. As long as those passages stayed clear, the motor would keep cool. before the fan shroud it would only take a couple inches of snow on the top surface of the bumper before the motor would start overheating. I also ran it pretty hard going up the mountain to get to the deep snow and it stayed nice and cool. So I'm extremely happy with the results.

Now the only other issues I'm fighting is my OBA belt. My brackets are slightly off and these flat multi-rib belts are not as forgiving as the v-belts are for how much misalignment they can take. So far I've trashed 3 OBA belts and one alternator belt..... That should be fairly easy to fix, just have to rework the main bracket some.

That and I'm not real happy with the gas mileage. this last snow run I got 6.4 mpg. I usually get around 10 mpg on the typical trail run. And on the freeway driving at 70 mph for 300 miles, I averaged around 13.5 mpg. I was told that I should be getting around 16 mpg on the highway....
AdamOffline
Total posts: 42
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Speaking of OBA...how come you used a "6 groove" York pulley? Do they not make a 4 groove or is your crank pulley different than mine? Both my AC and pwr steering pulleys are 4 groove, and my alternator looks like 5.

Also, those are definitely not the mileage results I want to see! I've been getting 13-15mpg on my 22R-E and was hoping this swap would be the same or better. Hmm.
4RnrRickOffline

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam wrote:
Rick,

Speaking of OBA...how come you used a "6 groove" York pulley?

I had a part number for a 6 groove York pulley so thats what I got even though the crank is only 4 groove....
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the shroud really worked then? That is awsome.

I still wonder about that gas mileage....what could the problem be.

Get an A/F meter on that.
4RnrRickOffline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperRunner wrote:
Get an A/F meter on that.

Yeah - I NEED to do that.... just haven't got around to it.
4RnrRickOffline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My image host changed web addresses, so some pictures may not load correctly - please view the update thread here: http://www.oregontrailjamboree.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714 for correctly loading images..... Sorry for the inconveince.
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can probably write a script to change every reference to the old address to the new...as long as the image name is the same, and as long as it uses the image name and not some random genertated number.
4RnrRickOffline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be cool.......

The "tellico" part just needs to be changed to "bbs" in every image link.....

here is an example

Old location: <- broken link
http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/1469077-IM000461.JPG

New location: <- fixed link
http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/1469077-IM000461.JPG

Last edited by 4RnrRick on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok....fixed. Man I am good
4RnrRickOffline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update you guys now that I have built a new rig with a 2.7L 3RZ from a Tacoma..... My solid opinoin right now is that the 3RZ is a better motor, HANDS DOWN, for a offroad vehicle.

Heres my driving impressions from teh first time I had it on the trail...

Quote:
I really like the power curve of the 3rz. Its great off the bottom end and has lots of mid-range power. The top end is kinda flat but I'm sure a supercharger would change that. Crusing is GREAT. You can be driving in 5th, say at 55 mph, down shift to 3rd {to say pass someone} and in no time at all your going 75 mph. It honesty passes just about as good as my DD ('01 Corrolla). you can easily cruse in 5th gear (5.29's in the diffs and 36" Bias Iroks) and you can actually accerate. Its no speed demon, but without downshifting you can easily accerate up to 75+ mph in 5th gear without down shifting.

Heres my driving report after I took it to the dunes....

Quote:
I took the truck to the dunes Saturday and all I can say is WOW! I have a permanent grin on my face. This motor has really nice low end torque and it will rev right up to redline easily. I did almost all my dune running in 1st gear high range! I couldn't do that even with the 7m - it didn't have the low end grunt and would stall out very easily. the 7M has more top end power for say high speed (45+ mph) drifting but the 3rz equals or betters that on everything else! I had no problem climbing some of the bigger dunes where you would be hard pressed to get a 22R/RE up them. and if the motor started to lug down you could downshift and the vehicle would lift up and keep right on going. Highway driving is also nice - where Pete (project_blu) and Tyler (yellow first gen) would have to down shift on the hills I could just stay in 5th and they would just keep up with me. if I downshifted I could pull away fairly easily.

I really don't know what else to say other than if you get a chance to test drive a 3rz swap - do it! but your wallet might hurt afterwards.

I also suspect why the 3rz swap is so nice in the first and second gen trucks is because Taco's are quite a bit heavier so the motor feels more powerfull than if it was in a heavier Taco.

As some of you know I did some performace tests with my 22RE vs 7MGE in my 4runner. well I did those same test with this new truck to see how it faired. I know its not a great comparision test since its different vehicles but I was curious. The biggest difference is weight. The [COLOR="Red"]4runner was 4640 lbs [/COLOR]and [COLOR="Lime"]Quasimodo is currently 4000 lbs[/COLOR].

Test #1
0-40 MPH on flat ground
22RE (4runner) - 10.5 seconds average (2 runs)
7MGE (4runner) - 7.5 seconds averaage (2 runs)
3RZFE (Quasi) - Didn't test...

Test #2
0-60 MPH on flat ground
22RE (4runner) - 23 seconds average (3 runs)
7MGE (4runner) - 13.5 seconds average (2 runs)
3RZFE (Quasi) - 14 seconds average (2 runs)

Test #3
Hillside Drive - mild hill close to the house
22RE (4runner) - Top speed at crest was 48 MPH in 3rd gear
7MGE (4runner) - Top speed at crest was 57 MPH in 3rd gear
3RZFE (Quasi) - Top speed at crest was 60 MPH in 3rd gear

Test #4
Sunset Drive - really steep hill close to the house
22RE (4runner) - Top speed at crest was 31 MPH in 2nd gear
7MGE (4runner) - Top speed at crest was 47+ MPH in 3rd gear[COLOR="Red"]*[/COLOR]
3RZFE (Quasi) - Top speed at crest was 51 MPH in 2nd gear

[COLOR="red"]*[/COLOR] = I had to let off the gas on one corner of this hill because I was going too fast and actually started to power slide on dry pavement!

Basically what I'm saying is now that I have swapped both a 7MGE and 3rz into a second gen truck / first gen 4runner - I can NOT recommend the 7mge for a good motor swap canidate for a offroad trail rig. the 3rz is a WAY better choice. More reliable, newer technology, easier to fit, easier to cool, better gas mileage, better low end torque, good mid range power. what more could you ask for.....

Sorry Rob - I know thats not what you wanted to hear as my opinoin.
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to dissagree with your results. You have always had problems with your setup on the 7M. I don't know what it was, but you weren't getting very good gas milage either. And the fact that you were stalling out. I never had that problem with my 7MGTE and it has lower compression. I also did a 7MGE conversion in a 4runner. Engine had tones of power.

I have a friend with a tacoma and the 2.7 and it seems pretty gutless...I really expected more. The 4runner with the 7MGE had more power than this 2.7 regular cab pickup.

With that said, I agree with you on not recommending the 7MGE. I do not recommend the 7MGE very much. I do recommend it over the 22R, but not over the 3VZ as it is about the same power. That does not go for the 7MGTE. You really can't compare the 7MGE to the 7MGTE. The 7MGTE gets about 30-40 more foot lbs of torque.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: