Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change in plans
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> MKII supra swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swankOffline
Total posts: 92
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Change in plans Reply with quote

I didn't think I'd ever be posting in this section but I guess things change.

I've been planning a 7mgte swap into my '89 22RE 4Runner for almost a year and have just about everything needed to complete the swap. I decided to buy a car to drive while the 4Runner was under the knife. I always wanted a mkII Supra so I picked up an '86 for $1000 CDN. After having alot of fun driving this car for the past week and realizing it has way better braking and handling than my 4Runner, I've since decided to put the 7m in the mkII and the 5m in the 4Runner.

So is wiring the 7m into the mkII less or more difficult than the 7m into my 4Runner? I would figure it to be easier since it is a Supra into a Supra. Is there a good write up for this somewhere?

How do the rear ends hold up on these things?

I know that I will need to modify the oil pickup, use the 5m pan, and relocate the dipstick.
swankOffline
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also how does the stock radiator hold up?
4RnrRickOffline

Total posts: 243
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked supraforums.com....
Yoda_ManOffline
Total posts: 30
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post in the canadain section if you come out to a supra meet you might get to see a 7m powered MKII
swankOffline
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supraforums doesnt have much in their mkII section....only 25 topics! Its generally a mkIV site for those rich guys. I managed to get Andy S's wiring section working which has given me a better understanding. Except it only uses 87-88 wiring diagrams for the 7m while I have a 89+ wiring. Luckily I have an 89+ wiring diagram CD so I should be able to figure it out.
swankOffline
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be posting on Supra car sites but I prefer to post on 4x4 sites because of the better atmosphere. I don't like the scene that comes with owning or talking about a Supra. Ive been robbed in the for sale section a few times at supraforums and everyone just bitches at eachother in the tech forums. I bought a part off Mike here and he shipped the part before my payment went through!! Great guy and a good example of loyal 4x4ers.
JMG4runnerOffline

Total posts: 180
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mk3 section of supra-forums has double the traffic as the mk4 section, the mk4 is just more famous

good luck with your swapping Very Happy
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swank, I agree with you. I just get sick of posting over there, expecially with my ideas. I get flamed every time I pop my ugly head over there. Lots of ignorant fools over there. Lots of great info too.

There are some MKII only forums, and they are actually pretty good, but I thought I would add this section...well, cause I think it belongs here. So I hope you can get the help you need. Sorry I don' t have any wiring diagrams. I have yet to get a good complete schemtica and pinouts for the MII's. If anybody could get me those, I could draw up a simplified swap diagram and instructions, that similar for the trucks.
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiring is a lttle more difficult, again, due to a lack of diagrams. But as long as you go over the wiring section and get familar with the concepts of how it works, a multimeter and a little trial an error on the MKII pinouts will be more than enough to get what you need.

Rear ends...well, I blew up 2 in mine. The first was due to lack of oil...didn't have any. Second one... not really sure. Wasn't being too hard on it, and it just went on me while I was delivering it to a guy in Maryland. Not to mention I blew the tranny on the same trip. Changed out the rear end in the parking lot of the wrecking yard, and the next day, had to change the tranny on a public street between super8 motel and Mcdonalds some where in the middle of Iowa.

That was my 3rd tranny. Maybe I just had bad luck because my friend hasn't broken anything, and his rear end has been bad since before the swap, and that was several years ago.

Tell you what though, make sure you get a 4.30 rear end ratio, put on some good suspension, and you got a good drifting car. Loads of fun Very Happy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site seems to have a fairly in depth wiring section: (hope its right)

http://andy.supras.org.nz/wiring_files/wiring.htm

My car has the 4.30 rear end with LSD stock.
swankOffline
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woops forgot to sign in
swankOffline
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally got around to finishing my swap last week after taking my sweet ass time (vacations and what not).

First thing I noticed....THIS CAR IS INSANE!!!

Rob, I can now see why you like this engine so much. Whenever I step into it my chassis almost twists in half and the LSD kicks the rear end into the next lane even at straight-away highway speeds.

I wasn't watching the boost guage on the first few pulls as I found myself holding on for dear life, but I eventually noticed I was boosting at 14 psi Very Happy. Havn't redlined it yet as I dont want to be too hard on the new clutch.

The engine is stock except for K&N cone filter and a $98 3" SS DP/elbow combo. I still have a huge IC to install.

It started up beautifully on the 2nd flick of the key (had to do a 180 on the CPS). Somehow I majically got the wiring right on the first attempt.

I don't know how to post pics so heres some links:

Engine built back up and ready (Bosch BOV has since been installed)- http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/swank_chuck/100_1875.jpg
Spec Stage 3 six puck clutch - http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/swank_chuck/100_1878.jpg
Engine in car - http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/swank_chuck/100_1879.jpg
The car - http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/swank_chuck/100_1899.jpg
Very nice and cheap!!! elbow/DP - http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/swank_chuck/100_1891.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/swank_chuck/100_1892.jpg

Let me know if the pics work
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice. Yes, get that IC installed. What rear end you got. I had a 4.30 rear end, and I really like that. Makes great for drifting in the 2nd gen. 2nd Gen I think makes a pretty darn drifting car. Much lighter than the MK3 and MK4.

Now you just got to take some footage.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I've got the 4.30, rediculous off the line.
swankOffline
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently I'm having a hard time with not signing in....might wanna think about getting rid of guest posting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> MKII supra swaps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: