Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Successful smog legal swap in CA!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeuceOffline
Total posts: 29
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Successful smog legal swap in CA! Reply with quote

I wanted to let everyone know that the supra swap can be performed in California legally. I just got back from the smog ref and he issude me a new sticker that allows the truck to be smogged anywhere now Very Happy. The only hitch I encountered was getting the engine to run clean enough for emissions. Originally I had only one cat in the factory location of the 22R-E. It seemed that location was too far from the engine and the exhaust cooled too much, not allowing the catalytic converter to work at its optimum level. I installed a pre cat right after the turbo and the engine passed the emissions test without any more problems. So fear not anybody in California, the swap can be performed legally.
SamOffline
Total posts: 5
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey what part in CA are you in? I'm in the process of swapping mine also in CA San Diego. I have to be ready for the Ref Also
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to make sure that the engine is from the same year or newer...so basically...you can't do a 7M swap on a 93-newer truck...you can only do a 2JZ swap. 5M on only 85-older trucks...I called a california referee on this last week.

Also...don't ever plan on putting a turbo on anything that didn't come with it...unless you have a CARB number or sticker...you will fail...I am NEVER moving to california for this reason. I turbo everything I own.
DeuceOffline
Total posts: 29
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the central coast. Even in San Diego with the heightened smog restrictions, your engine should still pass emissions with flying colors as long as you're running two cats and the engine is running correctly. Good luck with your swap.
7m4runnerOffline
Total posts: 69
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also...don't ever plan on putting a turbo on anything that didn't come with it...unless you have a CARB number or sticker...you will fail...I am NEVER moving to california for this reason. I turbo everything I own.[/quote]

Are u saying that my truck wont pass smog if i swap in a 7mgte in my 4runner?!
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can replace the engine...as long as the engine is from the same year of your 4runner or newer. If you have a 93-newer 4runner, you can't do a 7M swap, but you can do a 2JZ swap. And you also have to keep the OEM equipment for that engine, no aftermarket intakes or exhaust.

My brother is moving out of california next month to Vegas and this was one of the reasons why. Cali smog SUCKS!!!!!
OverbearOffline
Total posts: 14
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bringing this back to life to say...

My runner too got its CARB sticker. I just got back from the toyota dealer because I needed to pick some stuff up. I was there so I figured what the heck have them do the fluids, its cheep. You should have seen their guys, every mechanic in the place came over and were huddled around it in shock someone could shoehorn a 7M into a runner like that.

The great thing was the comment "hey look he has a carb sticker!" Laughing

btw, on the carb sticker, I found 4-5 coats of clear paint sprayed over it set it nicely and will keep that dumb paper sticker from getting dammaged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: