Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody experience intermittent ignition problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Electrical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeuceOffline
Total posts: 29
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Anybody experience intermittent ignition problem? Reply with quote

Just curious if anybody else experienced an intermittent ignition problem. The problem happens every so often for a split second. The computer gave a trouble code 14 for the first time yesterday. The tachometer will drop and the engine dies, and then everything returns to normal for the next hundred miles or so. Any help would be appreciated.
coraxOffline
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like an intermittant electrical problem. check your wire connections (splices should be soldered, not twisted - if they are just twisted I'd bet my rear bumper that's your problem). could be a loose terminal in one of the connectors or a bit of corrosion. if you pull the connectors apart & see any green crap on any of the pins, clean it up. you could also try just disconnecting & reconnecting all the connectors (sometimes this will give a new "bite" for the terminal).
DeuceOffline
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the splices and connections are soldered and wrapped in heat shrink tubing. The connectors are clean as well. I was hoping to find out if someone has experienced this problem with certain ignition component, such as the ignitor, coil bank, etc.
AdamOffline
Total posts: 42
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem when I took mine out for the first test drive. It ran fine in the shop but as soon as I hit a few bumps on the road I got the Code 14 and started pulling out my hair. It took me 3 hours to figure out but it turns out the connector at my coil/ignitor was failing. With the engine running I could wiggle it just right and the thing would stop firing and the code would come up. It looked mint but when I cut out the connector there was intermittent continuity across the wires when they were wiggled.

I just replaced that connector with a 4 pin trailer wiring connector and lived happily ever after.
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this in most cases is caused by the CPS sensor./distributor. The wiring right there gets pretty messed up. Don't know why, jus a common problem area of 7M's
DeuceOffline
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Turned out that 2 of the 3 pick ups on the CPS had failed. I had an extra CPS that I switched out and now the truck runs perfect again. Very Happy
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, that crazy CPS is usually the culprit. I would say 1 out of every 5 CPS's out there have issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: