Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5mge swap help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcross405Offline
Total posts: 11
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: 5mge swap help Reply with quote

I have a 1986 4Runner with solid front axle and planning on doing a 5m swap. I was given a 5m out of a supra along with the intake manifold, fuel rail and injectors, wiring harness but no ecu, distributer, alternator, power steering, oil pan, valve covers, or exhaust manifold. I am looking for some of these missing parts and any information that would help with this swap. Thanks
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hit the wrecking yards for parts that you need.

Look at the supras there and see what it is your missing. Other than what bolts to the engine, you need coil/igniter/afm. I would also get all the connectors needed to connect the chassis harness to the engine harness, both near the ECU and in the engine bay.
dcross405Offline
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the yards close to me usually has a few of these supras there so the parts probably wont run all that much. As soon as i get the money i want to rebuild the 5m but curious about turning it into a 6m. I have read both about the bellhousing fitting and not fitting to the manual transmission. Do you know if it does or not? Also the oil pan. If it fits with the solid axle or if i have to swap pans and pickups. Also how difficult would you rate this swap?
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to get a 7M oil pan and oil pump. Not a big deal there.

Yeah, a 6M would be nice. Just find a 7M crank(which are actually 6M) and some rods and pistons.

Bellhousing is only an issue if you are putting in a V6 truck. If you are doing that, I don't reccomend the 5M over the v6.

Dificulty, hmm, that is hard to say. Probably a little easier than v8 swap. Hardest part is the radiator. If you don't have A/c, just mount a pusher fan and it won't be that hard.
dcross405Offline
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya i have been researching a 22re N/A build with a hp cam but the numbers still don't really compare with the rebuilt 5m. But ac doesn't really matter to me. I have gone threee years without it so it doesn't bother me. But with the 7m crank and pistons and rods, will they just go right in or will there be machining required to fit? Also with the wiring, other than the main engine harness and afm, mafs, and ignition what else is required in the swap? Is it a complete engine bay harness swap?
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, crank will drop right in, but of course you need to get the proper numbered bearings from toyota.

Other than that list of stuff, you should be good.
dcross405Offline
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the mafs and afm relatively easy to swap over if you have the wiring? And is the 7m bottom end worth the money and time to swap over? What all in the ignition is required to swap over?
dcross405Offline
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also what parts from the stock setup can i reuse like the starter and can the powersteering setup be reused also?
dcross405Offline
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will i need a front middle or rear sump oil pan for the 5mge with the solid front axle or will the stock setup work for this application?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: