Home Page www.supracharged.com
This forum is for information on Supra Swaps

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5mge swap done- 1987 4runner IFS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XIHOffline
Total posts: 14
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: 5mge swap done- 1987 4runner IFS Reply with quote

87 runner- was 22re and 5 speed.

Motor- 85 block with 82 engine electronics, dizzy and CPU

Wiring- wasn't bad at all. The stock tack had a potentimeter already on it so I just adjusted it. I hacked out what I didn't need from the supra harness and removed that stuff from the truck side engine harness. It was a little sticky because I wanted to prepare the wiring for an eventual 7mgte swap. I have the turbo harness paired down and the 4runner body harness set so it will be a simple motor swap, and just plug in the turbo harness and screw in the CPU to the mounts.

Cooling- I used the radiator that was on the truck already. It is a 4core and even though I don't have my fan on yet the truck never gets over 1/2 on the temp guage.

EGR- I deleted it on this engine since I passed emissions right before the swap. I'll add it back for the turbo version

Oilpan- Stock 5mge supra pan fits just fine if you remove the steeing stabalizer

Misc- used stock 5mge and 22re mounts. Had to install a 3inch body lift to ease install. I also lifted the tranny and t-case 2 inches with a Budbuilt.com crossmember to level out the engine and hopefully prevent some of the oiling issues.

Overall:

It runs good. Power is much better than the 22re. From 1000-3700rpm it is steady and strong, but nothing amazing. For some reason it hits a "powerband" at 3700 and really kicks in from there till I let up at 5500. Don't know if this is normal or not. Wish it had a bit more kick down low.

The only problem I have is that my rear windo stopped working after the swap and for the life of me I can't find anything that I would have touched that could have caused that. I'll try and get som pics up.
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
Total posts: 942
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the 5M is an improvement over the 22R, but remember, you are only gaining .4L Not a HUGE jump, and the 5M is only 12 valve instead of 24.

But getting this far means a 7M or 7MGTE is going to be a sinch.
XIHOffline
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting a full custom exhaust put in today so that is great. I like the power and feel of the motor and even with my flex piped exhaust and 31s I am kickin around 24mpg
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, that is great MPG, I wish I could have got that.
XIHOffline
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL oh, and my window issue was that damn wiper being a milimeter from the top.

I am went with two 10inch fans and an adjustable controller.

What temp do you guys run? I have my fans set to come on at 195(temp measured at the t-stat housing) and the hottest I have seen it go to is 210 after going from a hard romp to idling...Driving down the highway it is usually at 180 or so
SuperRunnerOffline
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I think that is a pretty good temp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.supracharged.com Forum Index -> Results of swaps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: